Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Evernight - Claudia Gray

Book #4 of 50 on the Goodreads Book Challenge
 
Evernight follows the life of Bianca Oliver as she tries to fit in with her new life at the Evernight boarding school.
 
This book is not particularly bad; the characters are ok, the setting is enjoyable and there is at least a bit of action. Despite all this it didn't really catch my imagination. If I'm completely honest, I was bored, and I think the fact that there isn't even that much to hate about the book makes it worse somehow.
 
To be fair to Evernight, it has a twist that I didn't actually see coming and stunned me. I though that perhaps I had been lulled in to a false sense of security, since I hadn't really been paying much attention for the first 100 pages or so, but really up until the end it was rather dull.
 
I actually enjoyed hearing about takes on history, and I really hope this angle is continued in the rest of the series. However, the fact that Bianca is supposed to be shy, and not just 'cute' shy (as she explains) but painfully shy. I didn't actually see one example of this shyness in the book. No, Bianca is quite happy to shoot her mouth of in class to her headmaster. I thought this was an irritating feature and really had no reason to have been included.
 
Overall, if you enjoy quick reads about boarding houses, then you will probably enjoy this. It's not a bad book, I just wasn't particularly bothered about it. I'll probably read the rest of the series for review sake, and hopefully the rest of the books will prove me wrong.
 
Evernight completes letter E on A-Z Reading Challenge, hosted by BookJunkie. See my full progress here!

No comments:

Post a Comment