Sunday, 30 January 2011

IMM - 30-01-11 {3}

In My Mailbox (hosted by The Story Siren)

This week all my 'mailbox' is full of books I have scavenged from the library. I think libraries in the UK are an underestimated and underused resource and as such I try to use them as much as possible. They may not always be brilliantly stocked everytime I go there, but if you don't mind waiting the reservation service is brilliant. Because I love my library I will participating in the 2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge, hosted by Jamie at Book Junkie's Bookshelf. I will follow this post with a separate one for the challenge.

Now, on to the books! Firstly I have City of Glass and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. I won't post the blurb for them because they are the second and third books in the Mortal Instruments series and I don't want to give anything away for those of you who haven't read the first, City of Bones.

Next up is Stargarzer by Claudia Gray, which for the same reasons as above I won't post the blurb for, but if you're interested in reading the first one in this series, take a look at Evernight. I have started reading this and am as underwhelmed as I was with the first book. It's still early on though so I have my fingers crossed.

Another book in this post that I've started reading is Mercy by Rebecca Lim. This is extremely strange! Here's a bit of a synopsis for it:

There's something very wrong with me. I can't remember who I am or how old I am, or even how I got here. All I know is that when I wake up, I could be any one. It is always this way. There's nothing I can keep with me that will stay. It's made me adaptable. I must always re-establish ties. I must tread carefully or give myself away. I must survive. Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial host exiled with fallen angel, Lucifer.

There's a little teaser for you! I have also picked up Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow, which is a somewhat older book but still looks good. From what I have read about it it seems similar to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series:

Dru Anderson: Night Hunter. Knife Wielder. Heart Breaker. Dru can sense evil, which helps when she and her Dad are tracking down ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional reanimated corpse. It's a dangerous life, but it's the only one she knows. Then Dru's dad turns up dead and she suddenly finds herself in the middle of a deadly game where every move she makes could be her last. Dru is more special than she realizes - and whatever killed her dad could be coming for her next. Can Dru stay alive long enough to fall for one - or both - of the guys hungry for her affections?

The final book in my mailbox is The Glass Demon by Helen Grant. I saw this on Amazon the other day and was going to buy it, but now I'm glad I didn't as I can read it for free! Looks really fun, check it out:

The first death: Seventeen-year-old Lin Fox finds a body in an orchard. As she backs away in horror, she steps on broken glass. The second death: Then blood appears on her doorstep - blood, and broken glass. The third death: Something terrible is found in the cemetery. Shards of broken glass lie by a grave. Who will be next? As the attacks become more sinister, Lin doesn't know who to trust. She's getting closer to the truth behind these chilling discoveries, but with each move the danger deepens. Because someone wants Lin gone - and won't give up until he's got rid of her and her family. Forever.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Mortal Instruments trilogy and think it got better with each one. I have the first prequel, and I can't wait to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty covers! Awesome haul!! Can't wait to read your reviews!!! btw You are totally going to love city of glass, Mortal Instruments is one of my favorite series!

    ReplyDelete