Monday, 17 January 2011

Marked - P.C. Cast


GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 368
PUBLISHER: ATOM Books
FORMAT: Paperback
BUY IT: Waterstones

RATING


SUMMARY
When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit. When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends. Not suitable for younger readers.

REVIEW
It is really difficult to write a review for this book after reading the rest of the series because I am rather tainted by my dissaffection for the later books. However, because these books are so popular and I always seem so negative towards it, I want you to see that it all actually started so promisingly...

Marked is perhaps one of my favourite of the series, and really caught my attention. I bought it about two years ago after reading Rachel Caine's Glass Houses and was in search of something similar. While their stock features are almost the same, the Cast's writing style is nowhere near as good but I still raved about it, probably because of how much potential it holds. I do believe in the benefit of the doubt.

I loved learning about how the House of Night worked, the legal emancipation, the hierachy, everything! There were certain events, however, that I didn't believe were highly necessary. I won't say what, but there are always crude references. I honestly feel that readers a little younger could also enjoy this book without those almost sexually explicit moments. I felt that the characters themselves were almost stock characters and completely stereotypical, as if trying to cover all the bases. However, this is obviously only the beginning of a long series and of course, there is room for the characters to evolve (she says, with her fingers crossed).

All in all, please don't be put off by my jaded attitude. I wish I had had this blog when I read the book for the first time. I would still recommend Marked, it's a thrilling read and does have some lovable characters. My final say: don't expect to be wowed by description, but most people will enjoy the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment