Friday, 5 August 2011

Forsaken - Jana Oliver

Book #18 of 50 on the Goodreads Book Challenge

GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 448
PUBLISHER: Macmillan
FORMAT: Paperback
BUY IT: Waterstones

RATING

SUMMARY
Riley has always wanted to be a Demon Trapper like her father, and she's already following in his footsteps as one of the best. But it's tough being the only girl in an all-guy world, especially when three of those guys start making her life more complicated: Simon, the angelic apprentice who has heaven on his side; Beck, the tough trapper who thinks he's God's gift, and Ori, the strikingly sexy stranger who keeps turning up to save her ass. One thing's for sure if she doesn't keep her wits about her there'll be hell to pay ...

REVIEW
For a long time I felt that YA Paranormal romance was becoming the same, repetitive sludge that I really wanted to avoid. And then I read Forsaken. I'd put off reading it for awhile because of the fear of being disappointed but I couldn't have been more wrong. From the first page I was hooked. Before I start my twinkly-eyed speech about Beck I'll tell you a little about the plot.

Riley is the daughter of Paul Blackthorne, Demon Trapper extraordinaire. When something happens to him out trapping one day, Riley is left to pick herself up and carry on her Trapper family name. Whilst fighting against a dystopian future that sees everything rationed and controlled by the Vatican (apparently the leading authority on the Devil and his minions) Riley finds out that not everything is what it seems within the Trapper circles. 

Jana Oliver is brilliant at scenery and character development, and please, let me come on to Beck! I love this bad boy, more than I loved Jace from the Mortal Instruments series, more than I love Sam from Shiver. He is a Southern hottie with a beautiful drawl, and even my Feminist side says he can call me 'girl' any time. He's an older man, mid-twenties, and probably too old for Riley, but oh so much more perfect than her fellow Trapper apprentice 'boyfriend'.

Anyway, with the fangirl-rant over, I can finally tell you that this is a series that I'm really excited about. I was devastated to finish this first book, especially as Ori doesn't really appear until the end and I can just tell he's going to give Beck a run for his money. I don't think many people would be disappointed with this series. Oh, and the demon's reminded me of the aliens from Men in Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment