Saturday, 12 November 2011

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 416
PUBLISHER: Hodder Paperback
FORMAT: Paperback
BUY IT: Waterstones
RATING: 4 STARS

SUMMARY
They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years suffocated by a lie. There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found the cure.

REVIEW
This book is marketed mainly at adults but is actually an adult/YA crossover with a particularly YA dystopian theme and feel. I know it has been extremely popular and as such felt compelled to read it.

I have to say I was rather disappointed. I believe it has been marketed as an adult novel because it is more philosophical than action-packed and there were a number of times when I actually found my thoughts drifting off to other things. It's hard not to compare it to novels like Matched by Ally Condie, which have almost the same storyline but seems to be more successful - it has the same philosophical feel with action that fires up towards the end but does it in half the page count.

I felt like Oliver repeats her sentiments over and over again and I became very bored with this very quickly. It's most redeeming feature, though, is its brutality. The beatings of the raids and the end... well fortunately the end makes the whole book worth reading. 

This book is about how much we would sacrifice for our freedom, how important the lows are in life because they afford us the highs. In addition it's also a criticism on how science is developing and our ability to change not only our looks but our personality and attributes too. 

For fans of: Matched by Ally Condie, The Hunger Games

No comments:

Post a Comment