Saturday, 12 November 2011

He's After Me - Chris Higgins

GENRE: Young Adult
PAGES: 352
PUBLISHER: Hodder Children's Books
FORMAT: Paperback
BUY IT: Waterstones

RATING
4 STARS

SUMMARY
His smile faded and our eyes held and that's when it happened. A charge passed through me, like an electric shock. Anna meets Jem when her life is falling apart. He is everything Anna needs him to be. Her dad may have run off with a younger woman, her mum may be a wreck and her younger sister, Livi, is swerving off the rails - but as long as she has Jem, Anna will be OK. And for the first time in her life Anna falls. Deeply and truly and intensely in love. The end? Not quite...

Every now and again you read a book that knocks you off your feet. You can't put it down, and when you finally have to because it's finished, it still runs through your head.
 
I don't know if I liked this book because I can relate to it, because it's set in set in the UK with an education system that I understand, or because I loved how intense it is. One thing I do know is that I could read this book over and over and still be excited by it.

Anyone who has had that first love, the whirlwind romance that makes you forget everyone and everything around you, will understand and 'get' this book. You're first love is usually so intense and so captivating that you don't get a chance to take a look around you before you even take a breath. 

Anna and Jem's relationship is this. 

Anna thinks it's hard to imagine Jem, the boy shes loves over everyone can do any wrong, especially when he makes her feel like a princess. But there are two sides to every person and love can change you. Anna starts to lose sight of what is right and wrong and only what makes Jem happy, but Jem isn't wholly good for her. She stops listening to what her family tell her about him and heads straight into disaster.

Interspersed between the chapters is an internal monologue by an unknown character. It's pretty easy to guess who that is, but there is always a part of you that thinks, no. It can't be. And the final twist is like a slow motion car crash; you know it's coming but when it hits it's still like dunking your head in cold water.

If you loved Entangled by Cat Clarke, you will adore this.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that books are more appealing when you can identify with things like the education system shown in them :)

    Glad you liked this one more than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about this one, but wasn't sure whether to go for it or not.
    I think I might have to now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really quick read, and I be interested to hear what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was so good!
    It took me a weekend to read, I got so caught up with it, I just couldn't put it down.
    I was suprised by the ending - I was really not expecting that to happen but everything was described so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't need a heart or soul anyway

    ReplyDelete